Tetra-Bee & Veterinary Feed Directives (VFD)

What is Tetra-Bee & why does it require a veterinary feed directive?

Tetra-Bee is a strong and effective antibiotic that contains oxytetracycline. It’s recommended to help treat and prevent American and European foulbrood.

Tetra-Bee Mix
Tetra-Bee Mix

A Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) is required for purchase of Tetra-Bee Mix. A VFD is a written statement issued by a licensed veterinarian that allows the use of oxytetracycline in or on animal feed. As of January 2017, producers are required to obtain a VFD form from their veterinarian and may only use the antibiotics for prevention, control or treatment of specific diseases. VFD forms, which are similar to prescriptions, must be obtained by producers from a licensed veterinarian prior to the purchase and use of any related antibiotics. Only veterinarians with a veterinary client/patient relationship may issue a VFD form.

VFD forms may not be issued over the phone, however electronic forms sent via email or fax will be accepted. Copies of the VFD form must be kept by all parties including the veterinarian, customer, and distributor for a minimum of two years; and the expiration date on the form is not to exceed six months. VFD forms will include detailed information specifying the farm, animals being treated, antibiotic(s) used, feeding rates, and the exact duration of the treatment.

Kelley Beekeeping strives to provide the best customer service available to our customers. Please feel free to reach out to our Customer Service Representatives at any time regarding additional information on Tetra-Bee.

**To test your hive for American or European Foul Brood, Kelley Beekeeping offers ABF test kits and EBF test kits. It is an easy to use test and provides immediate results, right in your apiary. Each kit is single use. This kit performs as well as standard laboratory tests, so you save by purchasing your own Vita American Foulbrood Test Kit!

European Foulbrood Test Kit
European Foulbrood Test Kit

2 thoughts on “Tetra-Bee & Veterinary Feed Directives (VFD)

  1. Sandy Lee

    I’m a backyard beekeeper who lives in California – where can I find a local vet to write this VFD and if none exist, then what? No help for my bees?

    1. Kelley Beekeeping

      Hello Sandy, most vets will write the VFD. If you are having trouble locating one, you can contact your state beekeeping association, they should be able to guide you in the right direction. Here is the link: http://www.californiastatebeekeepers.com/contact-info.html