Varroa EasyCheck was developed to provide a “ready-to-use” tool to obtain a reliable and accurate estimation of the mite infestation levels in a hive. Monitoring the Varroa infestation level on a regular basis leads to healthier colonies with increased productivity and better winter survival.
What Are Varroa Mites & How Do They Affect Honey Bee Colonies?
Varroa mites are tiny red-brown external parasites of honey bees. Varroa mites feed on the fat body of honey bees. When the mite feeds on the bee, it pierces the bee’s cuticle and holds the wound open with its lateral lips. This allows a variety of viruses and pathogens to invade the bee’s body. The weakened and infected bee develops a complex disease called Varroosis.
The Importance Of Monitoring Mite Infestation
Mite infestation monitoring allows you to precisely know the Varroa mite pressure in your hives throughout the year. This helps so you can make decisions best suited to control your infestation situation. The idea is to avoid at all costs exceeding the infestation thresholds, which could lead to the colony’s loss and the re-infestation of other healthier colonies.
- Optimize your Varroa control strategy, in order to lower the infestation to an acceptable level for your colonies
- Identify the most problematic hives in an apiary, pay them special attention, and put in place the necessary actions.
- Measure the infestation before and after treatment.
How Often Should Monitoring Be Performed
To help ensure healthy colonies by keeping Varroa under control, monitoring should be performed three to four times a year. In the spring for early detection, between honey flow to detect a massive Varroa build-up, late summer to choose the best-suited late-season treatment, and before overwintering to ensure the effectiveness of autumn treatment and assess the need for additional treatment over winter.
Varroa EasyCheck Features
- Designed for effectiveness: The filter basket is the key to EasyCheck’s reliability
- Easily transportable and built to last
- Tight-fitting lid is leak-free and comfortable to use
- Two molded guidelines allow for samples of 200 or 300 bees
- Designed for effectiveness: Fallen mites pass through holes in the base and sides of the basket
- Transparent bowl allows accurate counting and reliable sampling
Alcohol Wash orSugar Roll. It's up to you to choose the method that
suits you best!
Three Methods Using Varroa EasyCheck